Monday, December 22, 2008

Are you an ant or a grasshopper?

So there is an Aesop's fable about the ant and the grasshopper. Throughout the summer the ant worked and toiled and saved up food for the winter. The grasshopper sang in the field and ate what he wanted and laughed and the ant kept working so hard. The grasshopper tried to get ant to stop working and play for a little while. This only made the ant work harder.

Well the summer turned to fall, and fall turned to winter, and it was cold outside. The ant could now chill in her house and enjoy her feast of saved food. And the grasshopper died of cold and hunger. The moral of the story, "It is wise to worry about tomorrow today."

We are in a recession right now. But y'all all know that tax time is about to be here in a month. What y'all wanna bet that some silly ass person is gonna take that tax refund check and go to Vegas or buy some new cothes? What y'all wanna bet that some broke ass person is about to go drop bout $200 on an outfit for New Year's, but their furniture isn't fully paid for? What y'all wanna bet that same person is also gonna spend $100 to get into the club and $300 for bottle service at the club? This my friends is an example of the grasshopper mentality.

Then there are the ants. The people that are willing to get that refund check and pay down some back due bills. The people that instead of partying for hundreds of dollars, are throwing a get together at the house. The people that don't have to have the latest clothes, if it means putting it on a credit card. In this economic climate, we should all be ants...but you know as well as I that folks are not looking 2 days ahead, let alone a full year.

I take my lunch to work erry-day, even though I miss eating out. I forgo my love of Starbuck's Caramel Macchiato, for a simple cup of coffee that I brew at home. I have given up my mani and pedi days...sighing softly, becuz it is not in the budget. I have decided to be an ant. I already put in my plans to pay things down, Down, DOWN and the only way to honestly do that is to sacrifice. Fun can come later. Are you an ant or are you a grasshopper?

http://www.longlongtimeago.com/llta_fables_antgrasshopper.html

No comments: